Saturday, June 9, 2012

Thank Heavens for Puppy Sitters!!

I would never be able to raise guide dog puppies without a little help from my friends. Back in 1996, Tara did daycare for Troy for a few months, before it was cool enough to bring him to work and leave him in a crate in the car in the shade. He ended up being a breed dog for Fidelco and he was entrusted to my care for the rest of his life. He was my "heart dog" and we had him until he was 14 1/2 years old. We let him go on November 1, 2010 and I still miss him dearly. Several years later, Arline helped me raise two dog- Inga in 2004 and Titan in 2007. With Victory, I had help from Tricia, Norine, Marge and Doreen, until she was 4 1/2 months old and I started bringing her into the office with me all day. Now with Wanda, Tricia and Norine are sharing the duties. I guess it gives these gals a lot of pleasure to have an adorable puppy around during the day and be able to send them home in the evenings. The puppies get exposure to different settings and are less likely to develop separation anxiety because they are used to being handled and loved by many different people. Everyone Wins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment